Oh, Camille Paglia, the world is a better place with you in it and writing a regular bimonthly column for Salon.com — especially when she analyzes the whole Caribou Barbie issue.
Paglia, born and raised in upstate New York (she also attended Harpur College, aka SUNY-Binghamton, my alma matter... if I had bothered to graduate) is one of my favorite thinkers and essayists re: pop culture and women's issues.
I was lucky enough to game an interview with her a few years ago when her last book came out. It was one of my favorites, and I don't think I have ever been more nervous on the other end of the phone.
And when it comes to pissing off the feminist establishment, nobody does it better. See here:
In her essay today for Salon, Paglia raises some excellent points about Palin's candidacy and the Left's reaction to it. And while any right-thinking person (or would that be left-thinking person?) wouldn't want this woman anywhere near the Oval Office (or your kitchen unless you like moose burgers), you have to admit that the Guv don't pull no punches.
And I have a feeling that Palin is really beginning to perform her true role in all off this — a red herring meant to froth up the chattering classes of the left into hysterics and throw them, and their candidate, off their game (and off the boring and uninspiring McCain's daily campaign trail coverage, i.e. she's exciting so he's exciting too!). And unfortunately so many on the left and in the media are complying. Sigh.
Best line: "It is certainly premature to predict how the Palin saga will go. I may not agree a jot with her about basic principles, but I have immensely enjoyed Palin's boffo performances at her debut and at the Republican convention, where she astonishingly dealt with multiple technical malfunctions without missing a beat. A feminism that cannot admire the bravura under high pressure of the first woman governor of a frontier state isn't worth a warm bucket of spit."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment